Question
Posted by: Quick Stop for a short while | 2007/04/11

Very Short Stop

Dear Pharmacist
My 16yr old daughter just come back from a National swimming competition. She has prepared quite well these few months including nutrition etc. The first day went well until the second day when she started her menstrual period. It was not suppose to happen that week and with the "best" of luck it was the worst she experienced with heavy bleeding and cramps. We were out of town and did not know what to do. We went to a local pharmacy to ask for advice - but he said there was nothing. When i returned i asked my local pharmacist,and he said that ther is medication, but you need a prescription. The season is now at its end and will resume in May again with competitions later in the year. I would not like this to happen to her again as she did not perform on the following days. It has actually made her very sad as she has worked so hard. What i need to know is - is there anything to use that can put the period on "hold" for a day or two? I know it is suppose be 'mother' nature... It is actually a dumb question, but it might just happen again at a major competition. Also, if there is medication etc, is it allowed? Thanks a stack !

Expert ImagePharmacist

Yes, the good news is that there are various options available that will have the desired effect. You will however need a prescription from your doctor after an evauation. Best of luck!