Question
Posted by: helen | 2011/11/15

very low bloodpressure

Hello Doctor, what can be done for a person with chronic low low bloodpressure. The tablets prescribed does not help? Is there any tests that can be done and by who to find out what causes the low bloodpressure. Patient is female, 34 years old, smoker, non drinker. Thanks, Helen.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Helen.

Low blood pressure may be a complication of many chronic illnesses. However “low” blood pressure is often a normal finding in healthy young people, in which case it is not a disease and does not require drug therapy - which in any case usually does not help. Also, low blood pressure often gets wrongly blamed for a whole variety of symptoms which are not due to blood pressure.

I assume from what you tell me that you do not have any chronic illness and you don’t have varicose veins.
The only symptom that is generally related to low blood pressure is postural dizziness, ie a tendency to feel lightheaded when you stand up too quickly or remain standing or sitting for too long. Usually it is easy to prevent this by getting up slowly, walking around instead of standing, etc.

As people get older blood pressure tends to creep up and a very high proportion of people who live in the first world develop high blood pressure in later life. “Low” blood pressure when you are young probably means you are less likely to develop high blood pressure when you are old, so in the long run low blood pressure when you are young may be a blessing rather than a curse.

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes. JT

2
Posted by: Susan | 2012/01/17

I just read the comment about low blood pressure. I also seen an article in which 100/60 is mentioned as very low. I am a 45 year old non smoking female. I have no cronic illness and dont use alcohol. My blood pressure drop as low as 70/50 and on one occation was 60/38. Since I was 19 years old I fainted at least once a day. I went on Effertol for 3 months at a time. Over time the fainting stopped. I suffer with migrane and about 10 years ago a dr discovered that my low blood pressure triggers my migrane attack. The last 3 years my blood pressure drop mostly during the night while sleeping. I wake up feeling anxious, sweaty, restless, dizzy and off balance. I am taking Agrikor but feel it has no effect. The past 3 months I noticed that low blood pressure, migrane and a pressure feeling pain on my chest goes hand in hand. I have also notice a drop in my heart rate(from usually 80 to 60) during these spells.
The reason this is now becoming worrysome to me is because my youngest son is now 19 and also starting experiencing simalar symptoms. Is there any test I should have in order to establish the reason for this.

Thankyou.
Susan

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/11/23

Hi Helen.

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes. JT

Reply to Cardiologist