Question
Posted by: Tummytub | 2004/11/17

VERY large stomach - metabolic syndrome?

I am 44, 1.66m. I was an overweight child and by the time I was a student, I was very obese - 106 kg. Struggled to lose it and did the yo-yo thing for years - 30 kg up, 35 down, then twenty up, 10 down, etc. Then started following the Weigh Less eating plan 18 years ago and the weight came down to about 62kg. Stabilized at about 64-68 kg and it has been like that for 10 years now. I still eat that way. Go to the gym 3x a week where I cycle for 40min at 80% heartrate + the toning circuit, and my Polar tells me my fitness is "excellent".

The only problem is my stomach: it is still immensely huge and absolutely refuses to disappear - in fact, it is becoming larger and larger! I read the article in Health24 about metabolic syndrome and it set me wondering. I am quite slim now and very fit, but I have the stomach of a woman that is NINE MONTHS pregnant!! Really, I am not kidding. I cannot think that that is normal. My GP doesn't want to take it seriously and tells me it is flatulence, but I am not falling for that one. And I am way too embarrassed to let any doctor see how really immense it is, because when I'm lying down, it will of course not show that much.

What can I do? Should I worry about it?

Tummytub, the best would be to have an abdominal sonar done and to make sure that there is nothing serious going on in there. If it ends up just being due to flatulence, the best would be to see a gastroenterologist and have him do something about it. If it turns out to be fat, you can see a cosmetic surgeon and have it removed. Good luck.

1
Posted by: science | 2004/11/19

You have few options to sort out this problem:
1. Have your fasting blood sugar and insulin levels checked to confirm or rule out insulin resistance (metabolic syndrome)
2. Try cutting out wheat/gluten from your diet, IBS also causes bloated stomach.
3. Have sonar done to rule out uterine problems.
4. Cut out all animal fats, as they trigger a metabolic pathway that deposits fat in the belly region, and then make sure you eat salmon twice a week or take a flax seed oil + vit E supplement daily.

Good luck!

Reply to science