Question
Posted by: Rob | 2006/11/14

Very ill from bite (URGENT)

Dear Doc, I was bitten by something a month ago in the Knysna/ George area. The bite left blisters on my hand and arm. It spread to my under arm. The wound has healed after antibiotics. Now I am feeling weak and it is getting worse every day. I can not do anything physical as I get out of breathe. My doc gave me cortazone but nothing is working. My lungs hurt as well. How and where do I go to have my blood checked to find out what bit me and what cure there is. I am 57 years old.

Dear Rob
Ask your doctor to refer you to a physician - it sounds to me like you could have been bitten by a poisonous spider
- could have been a Sicarius. In experimental rabbits being bitten revealed extensive damage to soft tissue and muscle. It can cause swelling of the liver and damage to heart and kidney tissue as well as blocked lung arteries.
You may need an x/ray of the lungs, and blood tests for kidney and lung functions. The poison is toxic for cells.