Question
Posted by: Mokkie | 2010/09/06

Very high TSH

I don''t really know which doc to ask, so I thought let me start with you.
I have been battling with my thyroid since 1994. it was removed early 1995 and I also had radio active whatever. Ever since it goes up and down and on and on.
i have it tested it in Feb and the TSH wa at 16.9. My local GP decreased my Eltroxin to only 1 x .100mg. Because it was very close to the maximum, I decided myself to have it tested again last week. My TSH is now at a staggering 41.55! The T4 is fine, 8.0
My problem is that I did visit a specialist late 2008, early 2009. After my first consultation, he would let the blood service have a form, I would go there and call him for the results. (O, I live on the West Coast, he is in Cape Town). The first telephonic consulation cost me R325 and the second on over R800. I could not afford this every six months as my medical aid does not pay for telephonic consultations.
What am I to do? i have been battling with my weight ever since my thyroid started, and in the past six months I have picked up another 6 kilo''s at least. And I promise you that I am very good.
Do you have any advice for me? Any suggestions to whom I can see in CT?
Thank you for your time
Mokkie

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Mokkie,
You don't appear to be asking a question pertaining to an eating disorder, but you certainly need some advice that pertains to your thyroid functions. I do not want to advertise names on the forum, so drop me an email and I will direct you to some colleagues here in Cape Town that might be able to help you. It seems that cost is an issue, so we could look at a few options. My email is in my description at the top.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/09/07

Hello Mokkie,
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert