Question
Posted by: worried | 2003/01/10

very dry during intercourse

I find that sex doesn;t do anything for me. I am very dry and I feel I do not please my guy.

First you need to take a look at what has changed in your life recently- Medications? Stress levels? Illness? Birth control methods? Changes in any of the above could cause vaginal dryness for a normally healthy woman. Other reasons as to why you may be dry down there are pregnancy, menopause, or simply not getting enough foreplay before penetration.

Are you and your partner using lubricants? If you and your partner are currently not using lubricants, I would recommend that you try out a water-based lubricant such as Astroglide, ForPlay, Moist Again, and K-Y Jelly. Stay away from oil-based lubricants such as petroleum jelly and baby oil because they can cause additional vaginal irritation and they also can damage condoms. Speaking of condoms - Are you and your partner using condoms in addition to birth control pills? If you do use condoms, I would recommend that you either use lubricated condoms or apply lube to both the inside and outside of the condom - this way it is slippery for both partners! A combination of using non-lubricated condoms and the friction of the condom against the vagina can suck up all of your natural juices and make sex very uncomfortable. Another option would be for you to insert a spermicidal cream or foam into your vagina prior to having intercourse.

If you still can’t find the root of your problem and you’ve tried all of the above remedies, you might want to see your GP or Gynaecologist.