Question
Posted by: Momof3 | 2007/06/01

VERY BAD INDIGESTION!!

Hi Dietdoc
I hope you can help.
My husband 50 on 9/O6/2007 has terrible heart burn/indigestion.

he does take medication-for high blood pressure and sometimes uses Cialis -which gives him heartburn,Viagra too does this.

it seems that everything he eats causes him great discomfort and heart burn. He is not very much over weight maybe 5/10kg and has abeerpoep like most men his age. He has been for a test-swallowed the tube ,nothing wrong there.

Could you recommend foods to stay away from that could cause heart burn and what he should be eating to perhaps prevent this or at least so he does not get it that often.-like bland foods etc.
of course he does eat mild curry, drinks coffee and cheese as well but beside that.

We are aware that heart burn is a side effect of the Cialis and the Viagra -nothing we can do about that.Or maybe there is.

Dear Momof3
If you hubby develops heartburn after taking Viagra and Cialis then you need to check with the prescribing dr if he can take antacids or other acid-lowering medications together with these 2 products to prevent the heartburn. I would recommend that your hubby should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can take a diet history and work out a diet for him that does not trigger this reaction. Generally speaking he will have to experiment with the foods he eats that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, alcohol, excess coffee and tea, etc). This is often an individual reaction and he will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too complicated, then do please see the dietitian.