Posted by: Mia | 2005/11/22

Very bad body oudor. Shower or not

I am 26 and have been suffering from this problen since childhood.
My body gives out a very bad smelling oudor. At times its worst than other. There is no difference when I shower. Sometimes it seems the shower makes it worse. I have tried to shower twice a day and different types of soap But nothing helped. Can you please help me with this problem it's ruining my entire life.

Yes other people notice it instantly when I enter a room. My supervisor called me after a meeting and told me my colleges are complaining about the smell when I am around. I also has been confronted in the ques of compartment stores and cafe's.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Mia, it sounds like you might have a metabolic disorder/enzyme deficiency that prevents you from breaking down certain substances that then heap up in the sweat/skin. I can’t tell you which one it is without being able to examine you first, so the best would be to see a specialist physician and have it sorted out. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Mia | 2005/11/25

What type of tests must jhey do to see what is the problem and what specialist must I see?

Reply to Mia
Posted by: Piet | 2005/11/24

I suffer from the same thing.
I can't smell myself when the smell is present.
I don't know what I smell like and just wondered if the smell has something to do with the name the disease got.

Reply to Piet
Posted by: Phil | 2005/11/23

Hi Mia,
It could be that you suffer from a metabolic disorder called, fish odor disease. Some foods contain a certain alcohol called, tri-methyl-amine (TMA) and tri-ethyl-amine (TEA). So when you eat food that contains these compounds, your body is unable to metabolize these specific alcohols and then the concentration in your body rises. You can contact the Bio-chemistry department at the Potchefstroom University, for they are the only lab in South-Africa that does metabolic disorder research. A contact person at the bio-chemistry department is Corrie van Wyk and her cell-phone number is 072-235 777 22. They might suggest a diet that doesn’t contain TMA and TEA. This is typically food like fish, seafood, cabbage, etc.
Hope this helps.

Reply to Phil

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.