Question
Posted by: MANDY | 2004/02/16

VEINS, BLOOD PRESSURE

Hi doc

I complained about painful veins a day or two ago to you(5883). You suggested I go to the doc because you thought it was deep vein thrombosis. Turns out its not but he did take my blood pressure which is VERY low 80/50. He could not tell my why my blood pressure is so low but did take blood to test for iron, calcium, magnesium, white/red blood cell count, etc. Why does a persons blood pressure drop so bad sometimes. I did eat before seeing him. What should I do to up this and also what should I do about these veins that keep sticking out of my legs and are so painful? Could have low blood pressure cause veins. Also, if a persons blood pressure is so low does it not put strain on the heart to put harder to get blood around?

Dear Mandy
Well, I am glad that you don't have deep vein thrombosis, which is a most unpleasant condition. No, low blood pressure does not put a strain on the heart - it is one of the conditions that will probably ensure that you live a very long and healthy life. It is not clear why some people have such extremely low blood pressure and there is not really much in the line of treatment. As I mentioned before, discuss the varicose veins with the dr because there are some medical solutions (removal, injections, etc). Let's also see what the blood tests look like, as you may have deficiencies of those minerals you are being tested for.
Holding thumbs that the dr suggests a solution for the painful veins such as surgical removal.