Question
Posted by: Mary-Anne | 2003/12/18

Veins and diet

Can running 9.5 km 3 - 4 times a week in an hour cause an increase in the visibility of veins in a persons legs. I'm 26, female, and don't know if I should stop the running or if it is not the cause. Could it be my diet? If so, what am I eating or not eating that is causing this? Can something be done about it?

Dear Mary-Anne
Do you mean spider veins, varicose veins or just that the veins in your legs are becoming more prominent? If you suffer from varicose veins or spider veins you can consult a Dermatologist for treatment, which can be quite effective. If the running is making the veins in your legs stand out, then there is not much you can do about it and it would be a pity to stop exercising as the benefits far outweigh this phenomenon. I don't think that your diet is responsible, unless you are starving yourself and have severe vitamin deficiencies. If this is the case, then do start eating a balanced diet and take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Supradyn Forte.