Question
Posted by: bleeding | 2007/05/10

veins

i have to have regular drips in my hand/s my problem is my veins are hard to see and the nurses regularly battle to find a good vein and i end up getting pricked and poked all over my hands (and i hate needles!) is there any way beside a torniquet that will make my hand veins more prominent? i have even tried soaking them in hot water prior to injection but it didnt help

Dear Bleeding
Ask them to use the blood pressure manometer instead of these rubberbands they use around your arm - some people have lower blood pressures and what you want to do is to get the venous outflow blocked but the arterial inflow must still be able to come into the hand. They have to pump up the cuff to inbetween your upper and lower blood pressure and be patient - the veins will pop out!