Question
Posted by: Girly | 2006/11/10

Vein

My vein in the neck is standing out quite big, especially certain times. Is it normal to have a neck vein as big or for it to be that visible? I been looking at peoples' necks just to see whether theirs is as visible, but i have'nt come accross any. Is it something to do with the heart, or becoz of my problem tooth, or is it a normal condition?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Girly,

Teeth do not usually have anything to do with prominent neck veins. You may have something like a swollen gland obstructing the flow of blood in that vein. There is a certain heart, and heart valve condition, which can cause neck veins to be very visible.

To establish which this is, you will have to actually be examined, preferably by an experienced doctor. There are very specific signs to look for, such as a specific type of pulsation pattern, which will help make the diagnosis clinically.

If you are still concerned about this, please see your doctor.

HeartDoc.