Question
Posted by: Dave | 2004/10/21

vegetarian protein alternatives

Hi diet doc - I am lookng for vegetarian alternatives to the protein portion of diets such as the body for life and usn diets. These usually suggest grilled fish, tuna, skinless chicken and lean beef. I have used fat free cottage cheese and tofu in their place. I would like to know if beans, pulses and textured soya products would also be suitable, or are they too high in carbs to compare with the meats suggested in the diets? Thanks

Dear Dave
I cannot understand why you need to restrict your carb intake when you are losing weight. All plant proteins and the milk, cottage cheese and yoghurt contain some carbs, but they have such a low fat content compared to meat that you can use them. Generally speaking a vegetarian diet should not cause weight gain if you are careful a) not to overeat and b) to restrict your fat intake.