Question
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/27

Vegetarian health

Dear Estie

I'm currently following a lacto-ovo vegetarian way of eating. I've read so many opinions of different doctors & health conscious people on the subject of vegetarianism, one for instance advocates not eating anything derived from animals as we are healthier off without it. It is also said that Omega-3 fats should not be obtained from fish as it's available in beans for instance, but a B12 supplement for vegans is recommended. I would just like to know what your opinion is on the above, I have stopped eating animal flesh because of ethical & environmental reasons etc, but suppose any animal products should then be avoided if that's the case. But doing it for health reasons is very important to me. Do you think for Optimal Health one should include or avoid eating fish or all animal products for that matter? And what should be supplemented if avoiding is the case?
Your opinion is much appreciated.
Kate

Expert ImageNatural health

1
Posted by: Estie | 2004/02/04

Hello Kate

I must have pushed the wrong buttons because when I looked again, the message said I answered the e-mail.

Here goes.

Following a vegetarian way of life is absolutely fine providing you do have enough of the right proteins in your daily diet. The moment you start lacking in protein, your health will deteriorate and this does not show overnight, but over years sometimes.

Lacto ovo is good. Ensure that you take your Bio-Strath Elixir or Tablets daily to have enough B12 and other vital nutrients lacking from our modern diets. Taking it 3x per day is the answer. A cup of cottage cheese a day is what they say we need in protein. Make sure that you are eating raw seeds and nuts daily, avo's when they are in season, legumes, beans, pulses, grains, olives, eggs, feta, soya etc etc... to supply the body with protein. Omega 3 is available from raw linseeds. Make a smoothie daily and add to it the magic seeds. Linseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. All mixed together and blended into the smoothie.

Fish is a very good source of protein and if you are noticing that your body is craving more protein than what you are eating, please eat some fish.

What is also true is that some people can follow a vegetarian diet much easier than others.

Hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

Estie

Reply to Estie