Question
Posted by: Berry | 2007/05/11

Vegetarian Diet

I have started going to the gym and i realise it won't do me any good if i don't have a good diet. The problem is most diet plans are for meat eaters and i am a vegetarian (i do eat eggs and drink milk)

I have a very unhealthy diet at the moment, i probably only eat veggies twice a week and the main reason is just not knowing what to eat with what.

Is it possible for you to give me a one or two day example of a vegetarian diet plan or where i can get one? I am a 22 year old female. (i don't have enough money to go to a dietician) or could i ask one of the instructors at the gym to make me a diet plan?

Any help would be appreciated.
Berry

Dear Berry
I must admit that I am rather puzzled because you say that you are a vegetarian, but you don't eat vegies??? So then what do you eat?? I would recommend that you do try to see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she can check what you are eating at the moment and make the necessary changes. I don't have an example of a vegetarian diet at the moment, esp for someone who is going to be doing some strenuous exercise. So please do try and see a dietitian, it should not be too expensive. Otherwise you can perhaps check at a good bookstore (like Exclusive Books) for a Vegetarian diet. It is good that you are still eating eggs and drinking milk. As a very basic rule you should be having about 3 cups of milk or 2 cups of yogurt or cottage cheese a day, plus 8 servings of wholewheat or high-fibre grains and cereals, 6 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, eating 4-6 eggs per week, and having 1-2 portions of legumes (dry, cooked or canned beans, peas, lentils or soya) and 3 tablespoons of
margarine or oil that is rich in poly- or monounsaturated fatty acids.
If I get a chance, I will compile a standard diet for vegetarians and publish it on the DietDoc Website in the not too distant future, so keep an eye on the Diet section on this Website.