Question
Posted by: suz | 2007/04/10

Vegetarian - 75% what am I doing wrong?

I am a 44 yr old woman and have decided to change over to a vegetarian diet because I have been suffering from stomach problems. My symptoms are the following:
It all started last April 2005 when I started with panic attaches, I never get heartburn but I suddenly started with this terrific pain in my chest and my heart started to beat faster and I was getting pins and needles down my left and right arm and my stomach wanted to run. I was rushed to the doctor and they said I was having a panic attack and was depressed and needed to take Zylift. They prescribed one tab in the morning (.5mg). I started to take these tabs and for the next month I was having up to 5 panic attacks. The doctor said there was nothing he could do I had to just stick it out. Never mind how exhausted I was. He also prescribed Alzam .5mg (1 tab 3 x daily) of which I was taking as prescribed until I managed to wean myself off of and only take a half at night.
At the same time (April 2005) my daughter collapsed at the age of 15 with a seizure, (but that will be another email) and I was into my second marriage and it was not working out. So I was under enormous stress of which maybe was the result of the panic attacks.
Around about August I decided I did not need the Zylift anymore as I had got rid of the husband and all his problems and my daughter seizures were under control. Everything seemed to be fine until December when I hit a financial disaster. Because I did not have a husband anymore there was not enough money to pay my debt and there was the threat that I would loose my house.
So around about the 16th Dec I had ordered a Pizza and ate it and all of a sudden my stomach went into a spasm (like someone had grabbed my stomach and squeezed it and I could not breath), and I had a massive panic attach. I took an half an Alzam and phoned someone to talk me through the thing. The next day it felt like someone has punched me in the stomach and every muscle was tender in between my ribs. I went to the doctor and he told me it was acid and I needed to take a ten day course of tabs and it would come right. He prescribed me (I think) Topmed (antacid) of which I took but I still had this feeling like my stomach would not work and terrible wind. The winds were so painful and it seems like it was in the top of my colon. My gran suggested I take Laxette to get my stomach working properly, but it still did not work. I went back to the doctor (I saw a different doctor) and he suggested I take a new tab that’s out on the market for a spastic colon as well as Fibergel Sachets (1 after breakfast and 1 after supper). Well I took the course but by now I was so ill I had to call my mom and dad to come and help me in the house so I could lie down and recover because my stomach muscles were very week. (Similar to when you had gastro with the vomiting). It took me a whole month to recover and I went back to the doctor and he insisted I go back on the Zylift and I said NO. I had been taking half a Alzam 3 x day and that was working (now I know you going to email me and tell me that Alzam is addictive – I know but what else must I do, that’s why I am emailing you because I am desperate).
My daughter and I have changed over to 75% alkaline diet and very little meat, and this seems to be much better but now the other day it started all over again (but then my stress level have risen again). I made my usual salad for lunch (tomatoes, lettuce, sprouts, avocoda, cucumber and olive oil), and I got terrific heartburn, so I took a quarter tsp of bicarbonate of soda in a little water and drank it. That night I got this sharp pain shooting through my stomach but at the same time my stomach wanted to work, I drank a lot of water and it seemed to ease the pain. I cannot take anything with Liquorices as I am highly allergic to it so I try and avoid any antacid. Since this all started in December I have noticed that if I want to pass urine I do not get a signal, nor if I want to pass a stool. My cycle has changed and my pms has increased. I actually do not know what is wrong with me until my cycle starts. Then I tend to relax.

Can u tell me what is going on with me?

Dear Suz
You are obviously very, very tense and stressed and the dr is correct that your physical symptoms are being caused by the panic attacks (a psychological cause). I can only suggest that you try to get some assistance from a clinical psychologist (if you do not have a medical aid or no funds, then try to contact your nearest state hospital and ask them if they have anyone who can give you some psychotherapy). It is vital that you are taught how to deal with these attacks and how to handle stress in a more positive way, so that you do not self-destruct. If at all possible please try to get to see a clinical psychologist ASAP. If you live in the Gauteng area there is the Tara Hospital (phone (011) 783-2010, which should not be too expensive to consult.
Once you have your psychological problems under control we can look at what you should be eating.
Hang in there