Question
Posted by: Yvonne | 2003/02/13

Vegetarian

I am on a diet but I don't seem to be losing much, I am trying to eat my carbohydrates before 2.00pm as being vege can be quite high in carbo's (you can only eat so much salad)! Today for lunch I had a little bowl of brown rice, brown lentils, onions and soy sauce which I eat like a salad at room temperature is this extremely fattening? I am at the gym at 5.00am and this morning did 70 minutes high intensity weights (I work out with a friend who is a body builder though I obviously use light weights and 20 minutes rowing machine medium intensity- I do this 3 times per week varying it and on a Saturday do a v-core class and about 45 minutes cardio. I am beginning to blame my hormones as I turned 40@!!!!!

Dear Yvonne
Have you worked out your BMI? to check if you are actually overweight? Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and Tools' and work out your BMI. If it is between 18 and 25, then your weight is in the normal range and you will struggle to lose. If your BMI is over 25 then you need to reduce your energy intake by eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet. I don't think your lunch is fattening at all and there is no need to restrict your carbo intake to early in the day. Carbs are NOT what makes us fat, but fat in food does. For the kind of exercise programme you are doing you need carbs as fuel, so that you don't break down lean muscle tissue for energy purposes. Always remember that the fittest and leanest sportsmen are the cyclists who participate in the Tour de France and they eat a practically vegetarian diet with 75% of their energy derived from carbs!