Question
Posted by: Petro | 2007/07/09

Vasectomy/Pregnancy

I am 38 years old and my husband 47. We'v been married for 12 years. After experiencing hormone and early menopouse, my GP told me to stop using the pill and subscripe the EVRA patch. I did not feel comfortable using the patch because I gained 5kg in 3 months and the patch looked awful on my body. My husband and I have 2 children and want no more, so I encourged my husband to have a vasectomy, which he did. It will be 3 months after his vasectomy on the 19th of this month then he must have a sperm check to see if he is "safe". My concern is that I am not on any contraceptive since his procedure. After being married for so long and also being sexually active we absolutely hate using condoms. Please help by answering the following questions:
1) Am I allowed to use the Norvelo emergency contraceptive after each intercourse? or only once after each menstrual period?
2) How safe is the vasectomy really?
3) If my husband reveive the OK that he is safe, will I fall pregnant if I do not use any contraceptive in the future?
3) At what age can a woman not have children anymore?

If you use Norlevo more than once a month, its effectiveness decreases.
Vasectomy is about 99% safe.
The chances of pregnancy after a vasectomy are less than 1%.
The age when you are no longer fertile varies. For some women it is 40, for others 48.