Question
Posted by: Lorraine | 2007/03/08

Vasectomy Reversal

Hi, my husband had a vasectomy +/- 10 years ago he is now 39 in a second marriage. We have just finished our first round of ICSI which was unsuccessful. We are now thinking of doing the reversal. I have read many stories of the reversal not being successful if done longer than 5 years ago My husbands sperm is 100 % as the used checked and used for the ICSI procedure. Your advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Lorraine

Dea Lorraine

Although vasectomy reversals are highly successful in that patency can be restored in the vast majority of cases, the quality of sperm however is not always compatible with natural conception. Furthermore, the presence of antisperm antibodies is a strong possibilty which further impairs sperm performance. Therefore, although vasectomy reversals may result in the presence of sperm in the ejaculate, it is almost invariably necessitates ART in the future. In most cases this ART is In Vitro Fertilisation with ICSI and therefore the cost benefit ratio's of reversal must be considered.

1
Posted by: Pam | 2007/03/09

Hi Lorraine,

My husband underwent a reversal 2 years after a 3 year gap. The recovery process was extremely long and painful. The op was also expensive and made absolutely no difference. A FS has since advised us that an aspiration coulld have been performed without doing a reversal.

I know every case is different. I'm just conveying our experience.

Good luck.

Reply to Pam