Posted by: David | 2011/05/10

Vasectomy in South Africa


My wife and I are both over 32 and have three beautiful children and are considering methods of permanent birth control. I have done some research on the web and have found that male vasectomy is actually more effective, and less risky than the tubal ligation procedure for females.

I was just wondering what are the options in SA? Does anyone have experience with the public health system? Can anyone refer a private practitioner? How much does it cost to have it done privately?

Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


I suggest that you consult an urologist. The vasectomy is much safer than tubal ligation and the vasectomy can be done in the consultation room of the urologist. I am not sure what an urologist will charge for the procedure but I am sure that the receptionist will be able to give you an estimate. In the public health sector, the procedure will most likely be free of charge. Unfortunately, you will have to wait your turn which can be a couple of weeks or even months.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.