Posted by: Shawn | 2008/05/22

Vasectomy before children.


I am a 31 year old man and I have never wanted children. I've also never been married.

I know for a fact that I will never want children.

Could you tell me if a doctor would still do a vasectomy?
Also since I'm not on medical aid, what would an estimate of the cost be? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Shawn
Yes if you are 100% sure you don't want children and discuss this with a doctor they will probably do this for you. Best to see an urologist. Cost would depend on the doctor and the hospital used. You can ask them to give you a quote. (should be around R1000)
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anon | 2008/05/22

4 got to add - you can have it done for free at a govt hospital - it is a day procedure

Reply to Anon
Posted by: anon | 2008/05/22

unless you are gay and know for a fact you wont marry and father children i would say think very carefully... things change over the years as do ideas and viewpoints. perhaps you might meet the love of your life and want to marry and have a family. Why cut off the possibility?? Its not like you have the worry women do - you cant fall pregnant so just be responsible with your partner/s until you know for sure.

Reply to anon

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.