Question
Posted by: Shawn | 2008/05/22

Vasectomy before children.

I am a 31 year old man and I have never wanted children. I've also never been married.

I know for a fact that I will never want children.

Could you tell me if a doctor would still do a vasectomy?
Also since I'm not on medical aid, what would an estimate of the cost be? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Dear Shawn
Yes if you are 100% sure you don't want children and discuss this with a doctor they will probably do this for you. Best to see an urologist. Cost would depend on the doctor and the hospital used. You can ask them to give you a quote. (should be around R1000)

2

4 got to add - you can have it done for free at a govt hospital - it is a day procedure

Posted by: anon | 2008/05/22

unless you are gay and know for a fact you wont marry and father children i would say think very carefully... things change over the years as do ideas and viewpoints. perhaps you might meet the love of your life and want to marry and have a family. Why cut off the possibility?? Its not like you have the worry women do - you cant fall pregnant so just be responsible with your partner/s until you know for sure.

Reply to anon