Posted by: Varicosy | 2008/06/23

Varicose Veins on legs

Dear Cyberdoc

My grandmother (whom I take after) died of a stroke and had thrombosis and lots of ops on her legs (those days). She died 5 years ago and was 83. I am 42 and have about 4 large green veins on the side of the knee (bit higher up towards thigh on right leg). Sometimes I get what I think is a throbbing muscle in that leg. How do I know if these are really a problem? What doctor do you go to? I have loads of spider veins on my ankles more than my mom who is 66. I am very fair skinned though (not a tanner) so my veins are visible whereas my mom has more olive coloured skin so maybe not a great comparison. Years ago they did that elastic/injec procedure on some of the veins on my legs but I don't think it helped. I have had unexplained high BP incidences and lightheadnesses for 6m or so. Is a specialist the right person to go to for an all over check up? I had a brain scan and it was fine.

thanks and regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Varicosy
You probably have varicose veins, caused by incompetent valves in the superficial veins of the leg. This is often hereditary. These veins can get infected or develop clots and cause thrombophlebitis but this is not dangerous and only causes local pain, redness and inflammation. Deep vein thrombosis is however another story - this can be dangerous and cause strokes, heart attacks and lung embolism. This is usually caused by blood that clots easier than normal and by inactivity like during long flights or a long sickbed, or even injury like in a motor car accident. Deep vein thrombosis cause painful swollen calves, and walking is difficult. You can see a surgeon or vascular surgeon for treatment of the varicose veins. It may be a good idea to check your coagulation factors to determine if your blood is "thin" enough. You have to keep an eye on your cholesterol levels and bloodpressure.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Erika | 2008/06/24

I have read the varicose vains on legs please give me something to read about leg ulcers due to cvi I am not diebetic
but I suffer from leg ulcers I wish somebody could cure them for me I spend a lot of money on wound care with little no results it becomes worse. I also do not know whom to consult anymore. Then Parovan capsuls compared to the red wine leave which one is the better one? the red wine leaves tablets are more economical. what prevents ulcers.
Looking forward to hear from you. Regards Erika Vettoretti

Reply to Erika

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.