Question
Posted by: Still Young | 2003/01/16

Varicose Vains

There has been a history of varicose vains in my family and i am only 22 but noticing some surfacing on the back of my knees. I am a bit overweight and also suffer from osteoarthritis. What is the best food that can help me. I am a vegetarian and am trying to excercise more. Please help before it gets out of hand.

Dear Still Young Reader
Losing weight and doing regular exercise to improve blood flow, are the best solutions to prevent varicose veins. I would like to suggest that you cut down on your fat intake to reduce weight and increase your physical activity level. Try taking Salmon oil capsules and omega-3 enriched eggs and low-fat milk (the latter is produced by Parmalat) to boost your omega-3 intake which will help for the veins and the osteoarthritis. If you are a strict vegetarian (no eggs, milk or fish), then you should also take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement (Centrum or Supradyn Forte) to ensure that you ingest sufficient iron, and B12. If you don't use milk products (use the low-fat varieties if you want to reduce fat intake), then you also need to take a good calcium supplement like Calcium Sandoz on a regular basis.