Question
Posted by: mike | 2006/10/25

varicocele

hi doc. i've got varicocele in my left testicle as confirmed by urologist. i think i'm going to have the operation done. however, i've heard they can also just inject something to correct it then theres no need for the operation. can you tell me more about this injection/alternative to the operation?

then secondly, about the operation, will it be very painful and for how long after the procedure will i have pain?

thank you.

Dear Mike
The stuff they inject cause an inflammation in the vein and causes the vein to collapse and fuse. It depends on how bad the varicocele is and where it is located what they will choose to do. The operation can be done either by open or laparoscopic surgery and takes about 1 hour. The recovery will be much like a hernia operation - may be sore for a week or so.

1
Posted by: mike | 2006/10/26

one more thing doc, will they operation leave any scars?

thank you

Reply to mike