Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/11/11

Vanishing Twin Syndrome

I'm 7Weeks and 4 days pregnant I had my scan at 7weeks 1 day. I expected to be 7 weeks 4days when I had the scan but my dr said no its 7w1d. My gynae said I'm currently carrying twins. One had a heart beat of 163 the other was 156. He said the one looked smaller than the other therefore might vanish. My questions are

1. Is difference in size a good criteria to determine vanishing baby sysndrome.

2. Looking at the info above (timing + heartbeats) what are the chances of one twin vanishing? do I have the same chances as any other woman who is pg with twins.

You don't say what the sizes were. If there is a large difference in size, then there would be a risk of one twin not progressing. The difference in fetal hearts is not helpful in this regard. A difference of 3 days is within the limits of accuracy of ultrasound. So from the information you have given me, your chances of a vanishing

4
Posted by: Nuffing | 2004/11/11

I think I had something similar, but not to the point of heartbeats.

I went for a check and had a scan and there were 2 sacs.
The one had a baby in and the other seemed empty.

The gynae said it was a'potential twin' but sometimes it doesn't work out and the twin gets reabsorbed leaving a single baby...

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/11/11

That is wonderful, I really hope all works out fine. You should look after yourself. Good luck

Jessica

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: Blue | 2004/11/11

I'm ecstatic. I always dreamt of having twins but I gave up when I realise they don't really run in my family.There are only two sets. I'm very happy but I don't want to go overboard and then find out I'll loose one baby.

I found out on the 7 weeks appoinment. At 5 weeks we only saw one baby.

Reply to Blue
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/11/11

I can't really help you, I think your chances are the same as anybody else, congrats on the twins, (are you happy) how soon did you find out your carrying twins?

Jessica

Reply to Jessica