Question
Posted by: Kat | 2005/12/01

Vaginal smell???

Dear Doc,

I have a slightly yellow discharge which smells like Jik, sometimes quite strongly, I've been to two different gynaes and they did a smear but couldn't find anything. Is it possible that the smell of a vagina changes as one gets older? This is quite embarassing to me.

Yes the smell can differ. If the swabs were normal, it suggests that there is no infection.
If in doubt about whether a discharge is normal or not, consult your doctor.

7
Posted by: Cb | 2005/12/04

I'm 22 and i got the smell. Its stronger if my period is due or if i sweat a lot. I've read that its to do with holding your wee in or eating to much vinger, or citrus foods. I want to get rid of it its embrassing and i;m very aware of it all the time

Reply to Cb
Posted by: Kat | 2005/12/02

I'm 32 - this only started when I turned about 26, I've been to see gynaes about it and they can't find any problem. There is also a colour to it - slightly greenish/yellowish, but it's not thick and it's not itchy or anything.

Reply to Kat
Posted by: Jamz | 2005/12/02

Hey Kat,

I know now what you really mean. My mom always told me that before and after my period cycle that a discharge may appear. Though the ammonia smell is absolutely normal well as far as my mom has told me and a friend studing medicine. If I may ask how old are you because as soon as I hit my mid/late teens I also experienced this sort of thing. And if your discharge turn an off color then go get checked or even changes in amount to a lot.

Reply to Jamz
Posted by: Kat | 2005/12/02

I'm not talking about the fish smell after sex, I know about that, this ammonia smell is different - it has nothing to do with whether I've had sex or not. It's there most of the time, not while I have my period, but about a week after it comes back again.

What is it and how can I get rid of it?

Reply to Kat
Posted by: dees | 2005/12/02

not alone ladies,im also have a smell like fish after i had sex,it last for three to four days,dont worry all you have to do wash immediatelly after sex,especially when you're not using condom.good luck

Reply to dees
Posted by: Jamz | 2005/12/01

I have something simular, where I am constantly moist and excrete a white discharge 24/7 all the time and only fo rthe past two days have discovered a smell like fish!I think something is wrong and really wouls like it to go away. I noticed it the day after i had sex and now really worried I contracted something, You not alone.

Reply to Jamz
Posted by: Pat | 2005/12/01

I know what you mean - myne sometimes smells like amonia and then it's fine again.

Reply to Pat