Posted by: uncomfortable | 2008/05/27

Vaginal Infection or disease?

Please help me as I've got a little bit of an embarrassing problem down south...

From about 5 months back, I've been experiencing problems in my vaginal area where from time to time I have a severe burning, itching and swelling on the right lip of the vagina. I've also discovered that on the right hand side, I've got a constant 'protruding vein' sticking out causing an unevenness and discomfort. I also have a thick white/brown discharge that also causes the burning and itchiness. From time to time, the discharge would also have an odor to it that is not too strong, but strong enough that I'll be able to smell it with all clothes on.

I am currently in my early 20's and I'm about 24 weeks pregnant with my second child. I never experienced any of this with my first pregnancy. The first baby will be 3 on the 10th of this month coming.

I am quite embarrassed about this problem and am scared to speak to my gynae (he's a male) and am also scared that the problem could be extremely serious (disease). I did however have a papsmear about 2 months back and my gynae never mentioned anything being serious. Yet, I still find myself suffering with this problem and as time goes by, it seems to get worse and worse. I cannot even be intimate with my husband!

It has left me feeling depressed, emotional, and very unattractive as my husband has been keeping his distance from me since then. It also makes me lack confidence in anything that I do.

Please help me to understand what is happening to me and if it is 'curable'.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

The only real way to know what the cause of the infection is, is to tell your doctor and have him examine you. This is important as some infections can cause preterm labour and you could then lose the baby. A few minutes of embarrassment can prevent a lifetime of regrets.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: LL | 2008/05/28

Sounds like an infection...

Reply to LL

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.