Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2003/12/12

Vaginal infection

Hi doc.

Season's greetings!

My question is. I'm a 24 year old, sexually active lady. I'm on Femodene. I keep getting these bad infections. I've been to my general practitioner plenty of times. He then usually prescribes diflucan and some antibiotics which works till it's the medicine is finished and then it's back again. I feel so ashamed that I keep it to myself now - don't want to make the doctor feel stupid.

It's rather prominent just before or after my period, whitish in colour with no or sometimes a very discreet "humid" odour and usually it stains my underwear yellow or white. I have no pains in my abdomen.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Thank you so much.

It may be thrush, but the best way to know for certain is for your doctor to take a swab and send it to the laboratory. If it is thrush, there is often a problem with recurrences. There is information in the archives on how to prevent recurrent thrush.

1
Posted by: Jen | 2003/12/15

Hi there! sounds like Thrush. Whatever you do, don't take any more antibiotics, as this aggravates the thush. If it is an infection that requires antibiotics, then make sure to eat yoghurt with the live a&b cultures, or get the live cultures in tablet form from a pharmacy. Go see a gynea instead of your gp!

good luck,
j

Reply to Jen