Posted by: Charlene | 2003/12/12

Vaginal infection

Hi doc.

Season's greetings!

My question is. I'm a 24 year old, sexually active lady. I'm on Femodene. I keep getting these bad infections. I've been to my general practitioner plenty of times. He then usually prescribes diflucan and some antibiotics which works till it's the medicine is finished and then it's back again. I feel so ashamed that I keep it to myself now - don't want to make the doctor feel stupid.

It's rather prominent just before or after my period, whitish in colour with no or sometimes a very discreet "humid" odour and usually it stains my underwear yellow or white. I have no pains in my abdomen.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Thank you so much.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

It may be thrush, but the best way to know for certain is for your doctor to take a swab and send it to the laboratory. If it is thrush, there is often a problem with recurrences. There is information in the archives on how to prevent recurrent thrush.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Jen | 2003/12/15

Hi there! sounds like Thrush. Whatever you do, don't take any more antibiotics, as this aggravates the thush. If it is an infection that requires antibiotics, then make sure to eat yoghurt with the live a&b cultures, or get the live cultures in tablet form from a pharmacy. Go see a gynea instead of your gp!

good luck,

Reply to Jen

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.