Question
Posted by: Stylelish | 2004/02/15

Vaginal Discharge

Hi, i'm 19 years old and sexually active. For as long as i can remember i've had a vaginal discharge.I went for a pap smear a month ago and all came back fine.The discharge is a white-ish yellow and has a smell, but not an odour. it is not an unpleasant smell. I am on the pill "Yasmin" and would like to know what the reasons are to cause the discharge and why it occurs if i am on the pill, if when one is not on the pill mucus levels are used to determine stages in the cycle. Is there anything that can be done to prevent such a heavy discharge. Generally, i'd like to know more about it. Thank you.

It may well be a normal discharge. The normal discharge which varies with your cycle, is related to hormone levels. On the Pill, the hormones in the Pill can cause a discharge. If the discharge is very heavy, you should exclude an infection. The best way to do this is for your doctor to take a swab and send it to the laboratory. If it is a normal discharge, there isn't really anyhting you can do to lessen it.