Question
Posted by: jane | 2006/04/03

utrogestan

i have been prescribed utrogestan by my doctor and was told to take it during meals. I have a friend who is also on the same medication but was asked to take it externally. is this possible?Also, what is the purpose of this medication?

Dear Jane

Utrogestan is a good gestational support agent that is used to enhance Progesterone levels in cases where Progesterone deficiency is suspected. It is mainly used in situations of recurrent miscarriages or in IVF programs after oocyte retrieval. To my knowledge Utrogestan should only be used by mouth, although I know by the way of instances where it has been used intra-vaginally as well. According to the manufacturers guidelines the Utrogestan is to be taken two hours after a meal ideally.