Posted by: Opinion please.... | 2012/01/24

UTI turned into kidney infection-non responsive

Hi - I am starting to panic. I had a UTI that didnt respond to Ciploxx (5 days). I then went onto Augmentin (1000mg 2 x daily 5 days). Still no response. Last Thursday had fever and vomiting and doctor found infection hadnt cleared up. Was put on a third antibiotic (intravenously) and saline to rehydrate. Told infection spread into kidneys. Then fourth course of antibiotics (cant recall name). Today urine still showing signs of infection and a small amount of blood. The lab was unable to grow any culture on the urine sample - nothing showed up. Have had a tiny amount of spotting (fresh red blood). Period one day late but negative pregnancy test. Now I have been put on Flagyll for five days and something to treat the thrush from the antibiotics. My lower back pain and fever is 50% better but still not 100% and nausea still comes and goes. Im getting very worried and wondering at what point i need to look into further tests (urologist, ultrasound, etc). Please can you give me your opinion as Im panicking... I am 36 and havent yet had children although still would like them.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

I suggest that you reconsult your doctor and ask him/her for a referral to an urologist, if it is deemed necessary. Pilonephritis is difficult to treat and can leave you feeling ill for a couple of weeks. Your doctor handled you correctly and I think that you are in good hands. Please do not be anxious and address any problems with your doctor.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: P | 2012/01/24

See a urologist - get your GP to refer you - he can get you in quickly. If there is nothing grown from the culture, its not an infection but you should get the hematuria investigated.

Reply to P

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.