Posted by: LM | 2008/07/03


Hi Doc

I suffer from lower urinary track infection I have been refered to a urologist by my GP and they did a scan but could not find anything. I was put on a treatment for 2 months which was suppose to clear the whole infection in my bladder.A month after that the infection came back, my GP and the specialist was on leave I then went to another GP he did a urine test and detected blood on my urine he gave me antibiotic to clear the infetion but advised me to go back to the speicalist should I not get better or reoccur again.

Do you think that a urologist is the best specialist to see or a gynocologist? Becasue the infection is back.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear LM
Recurrent infections in the urine tract are often due to either kidney stones or an anatomical defect in the kidney, tubes or bladder. The steps they usually take are: urine testing to identify bacteria and exclude kidney diseases, sonar to exclude stones and see if the kidney is enlarged or not, then an examination under anaesthetic with a scope ( small fibre optic camera) with which they look into the bladder, maybe an IVP (an x/ray that they take after injecting a radio-opque fluid into the vein, which then over the next 2-3 hours gets excreted through the kidneys). Yes you do have to go back to the urologist and an urologist would be a better option than a gyne for this.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Agie | 2008/07/29

I have been having a pain on my lower left side particularly at the back i went to the doctor three times and he digonased me with Candidac, he said my womb is swallen i took the treatment after the treatment finished the pain come back especially when i am standing for the long time or sitting for the long time. i went for the second opinion he diagonised with UTI and gave me the antibiotic and he said if they don' t work within 12hours i must come for Papamear test HIV test and other tests corncening bladder and advice me to drink a lot of water but i did that but now the pain moves from left to lower right side from the back to lower ride in front where i couldn' t move my leg i had to set until it become better so my friend gave me the antibiotic by the name of Ranclav 1g where after i drink it felt much better i felt like i have never had a pain . tell me is this relate with kindey problem or what

Reply to Agie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.