Question
Posted by: jil | 2007/05/23

UTI

I had an op in January. Since then I have had off and on bladder/urethra discomforts. Everytime I went to my gynae he told me to take citro soda. I went to GP yesterday. He took a urine sample and said that there was infection. I am on antibiotics and pillls to stop the spasms. He said if I don't feel relief after 5 days I must come back. However last night prior to taking the pills I felt terribly ill. Nauseous and hot/cold fevers. I am still getting the hot/cold fevers but the nausea has subsided. I have terrible stomach and back ache. Should I notify the doctor or will the antibiotics clear this up? How do I know if it is a bladder or kidney infection?

Hi Jil
Please just inform your doctor - chills can be a sign that the infection spread to the kidneys. Bladder infection is only painful just above the pelvic bone, kidney infection usually has chills, hot and cold fever and back ache just below the ribs at the back. ( if you put your hands in your sides with your thumbs forward, the area where the fingers are) Your doctor will probably say you have to take the pills for 48 hours and let him know if it does not become better but he should be aware of these symptoms.