Question
Posted by: Ann | 2003/12/15

Uterine Fybroids

At my last gynea examination (eight months ago) they discovered that I have a few Uterine Fybroids. The largest one was 10cm long at that stage. I have had two children both delivered by ceserean section and am sterilised. My gynae advised me to have a hysterectomy, as I was having painful and heavy periods. The pain seems to have subsided somewhat and I started my own business and have not been able to take the time off for the hysterectomy. Is it dangerous to wait and if I'm not experiencing pain, is it necessary to have a hysterectomy at all. Although I must admit I have had periods since I was 10 and wouldn't mind not having any at all now that it's been 24 years of them. Please advise me. Thanks.

I would go along with your doctor's suggestion to have a hysterectomy. A 10 cm fibroid is quite large. There is no harm in waiting for a few months as fibroids grow quite slowly. Pain is not the main feature of fibroids, but rather heavy periods. If they are large, they can also press on nearby structures and cause problems.