Question
Posted by: Zazu | 2003/12/19

uterine fibroids during pregnancy

Am 19 weeks pregnant. Had first ultrasound 18/12/2003. Detected fibroid approx. 8cm in diameter.situated in lower uterus. Baby approx. 14cm; no abnormalities detected. had miscarriage in june 2003. was approx 7 weeks pregnant then. no fibroid detected then. Is it possible for fibroid to grow so quickly? What implicatiion for current pregnancy?

Fibroids usally grow slowly, but their growth can speed up during pregnancy. Sometimes fibroids can degenerate in pregnancy and cause pain. This is usually treated with painkillers and anti-inflammatories. If the fibroid is very low in the uterus it might obstruct delivery and necessitate a caesarean section. This will be assessed closer to the time of delivery.

1
Posted by: tiki | 2003/12/19

Hi Zazu,

I had a very similar experience.I had miscarriage at 16weeks in Oct 2003, due to 8cm in lower uterus fibroid.The fibroid was smaller on my when I was 11weeks, it definitely grew larger in a very short space of time.So I think it probably is possible for a fibroid to grow faster during pregnancy.

Reply to tiki