Question
Posted by: Ebie | 2008/01/23

USN - Good or Bad

I often hear that by taking USN supplements for prolonged periods of time,your body will no longer be able to function correctly without them. Is there any truth to this myth?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Ebie

It isn’t fair for me to comment on good or bad supplement suppliers, but a sure way to trust a brand is to ask if they have anti-doping accreditation, or if they are accredited by the Olympic Committee and if they truly perform scientific research and not merely quote scientific references. Check where they obtain their raw materials from – there are different qualities – ask if it is pharmaceutical grade.

Re the myth it depends on the type of product. Ergogenic substances and steroids certainly can have detrimental effects on the functioning of the body and yes in the long run the body might slow down in producing some of its own hormonal messengers. As with meal replacements it is better to eat food than to drink liquid food – the body has to stay active in secreting its enzymes to digest the food and also from food we obtain fibre in our diet which is vital for good gut health. Thus never take more than 2 meal replacements per day and make sure that you eat at least 3 meals as well.

Take care
Vanessa