Question
Posted by: San | 2007/12/01

USN Fast Grow

Hey doc, i just wanted to ask if using usn fast grow has any negative implications...i want to start using it but i dont want to hurt my body in the process..i need to be bulked up by the time my matric dance comes up..thanx doc

My opinion on supplements is fairly consistent, regardless of the circumstances, because IN GENERAL, I am firmly of the belief that supplements should be left AS A VERY FINAL RESORT for any benefit.

The reality about supplements is that it's 99% marketing and promises, and perhaps 1% reality. The supplement industry, unlike any other, is unregulated and able to make claims and promises based on nothing more than a very vague theory. There is a complete lack of evidence, first as to whether supplements even work, but secondly as to whether they are safe.

So you may for example ask the question are supplements safe? Answer - no one knows, not even the company that makes them, because they are not tested. Absolutely ZERO research exists to examine the safety, the correct dosage, the side effects and the efficacy of most supplements. There are one or two exceptions, creatine and protein supplementation being perhaps the most researched ones. But in general, research is minimal.

And what this means is that the answer to most questions is "Unknown". Do they work? What dosage? How do they work in conjunction with others? What is the effect on empty stomach? All unknown.

Now, my opinion, based on all these factors, is that the supplements, with the exception of vitamins, proteins and creatine in very exceptional circumstances, is a waste of money and a con. Pure and simple.

The ONLY time I would concede a need for supplementation is in someone whose diet is clearly not able to meet the requirements. For example, a vegetarian who is also training quite hard is likely to benefit from vitamins and perhaps a protein supplement. Similarly, an athlete who is in intense training (and by this, I mean 15 hours a week) and needs to supplement to provide energy and protein to prevent muscle loss, I will concede that these people use supplements. But then, it's the supplements like protein shakes, vitamins etc.

Even here, my suggestion is to rather use something that has nutritional value. Nestle Nutren Active is a particularly good one - if you want to spend money that's where to spend it. But that's a last resort, rather look at training and diet first, then maybe consider it.

4
Posted by: Self Doc | 2016/02/14

Thanks for your question, the 14year old person should not involve his self in this kind of supplements.The reason is that his body is still weak and in a idolescent process, the use of supplements will install infertility.It is very better to start supplements arround 17-18years when the body upgrading processes are completed.

Reply to Self Doc
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/07

Wow, is this a response picked from a list of responses you have saved on a text file or something? If you'd actually looked up the product, you would've seen it IS a protein shake... Rendering most of your answer useless.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/04

i would like to know has the USN Fast Grow product any side effects when you use them and on a later stage decide to leave the products and stop with the body building training...

Posted by: smally | 2015/10/14

Hi doc can a 14 yr old boy use it? is it safe? how d to use it

Reply to smally