Question
Posted by: C | 2003/01/17

Use of vinegar

Hi there.
I am a 22 year old female. I am 1.64 and weigh 54kg. I have always liked vinegar. When i was younger i used normal vinegar, but heard that apple cider vinegar is healthier. I eat vinegar on basically all my food and use about 100ml per day/ a bottle every 3 days. Is this bad for me? I dont experience any heartburn, stomach aches or anything else abnormal.

C, you’re using a lot of vinegar. It will lower the pH in the stomach and may even do so in the blood - this may lead to problems as some substances need an alkaline pH to work in and the body will therefore constantly have to keep correcting the pH. At this stage it looks like your body is coping with the extra workload, but if something goes wrong (accidents, prescription medicine, gout, etc.), you might not be able to compensate. The best would be to maybe just decrease your intake a little. Good luck.