Question
Posted by: None | 2004/10/13

Use of Meal Supplement drink during pregnancy?

Can one use a meal supplement drink during pregnancy to replace two meals of the day (i.e) Formance by abbott laboratories, and to assist in controlling weight gain?
I am 21 weeks pregnant and have already picked up 12kg's. I can not control my eating and am hoping the use of a meal replacement drink will assist. I also do not want to pick up any further weight for the duration of my pregnancy as I do not want to be stuck with a large amount of weight to loose once the baby has been born. Please respond.

Dear None
If you started your pregnancy with a normal BMI (19,8 to 25) then you can gain up to 16 kg during your pregnancy without problems and this will ensure that your baby is given the best chance in life. I think you should discuss this use of meal supplements and your weight gain with your gynae as you need to keep the health of your baby in mind too. Although the meal replacement products may be well suited to induce weight loss under normal circumstances they may not be adequate for pregnancy. So do ask your dr before you start this regimen. You may be able to control your need to eat all the time and weight gain by using a balanced low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise such as going for walks in the fresh air (also check with the dr if you are allowed to do exercise).