Question
Posted by: con | 2004/01/06

use of contraception for hte first time

I'm a virgin getting married and want to use the pill. When should I start taking it, and how much does it cost at the moment. What are the different types and which one is the best to use?

There is a good section on Contraception under the A-Z of diseases where you can get lots of information. It is preferrable to start using the Pill 2-3 months before your wedding, so that you have time to adjust if there are any side effects. The prices vary depending on the type of Pill. Your best bet would be to go to your GP or to the clinic where you will be advised about the different pills.

3
Posted by: cat | 2004/01/06

I would like to add,- i was concerned at one time when my pills were effective for contraception, some people said a month, others said 7 days, after taking 10 i had intercourse which after hearing all this sent me into a panic!!. i phoned my nurse in the end and spoke to her, she told me they are effective and i am protected from pregnancy after taking 7 days worth!.- just for the record.(at least as far as my brand of pill is concerned)

Reply to cat
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/06

You need to be on the pill for about a month before it is effective as a contraceptive.
I'd start on the pill about 2 or 3 months before the wedding, as some people experience some mild side effects of the pill in the beginning, and you want to have some time to get used to them, or for them to have disappeared by the time you get married.
As cat suggests, ask the pharmacist or the nurse at a clinic to advise you. There are different types of pills - some are low dose, some a higher dose, you got mono phasic (just one type of pill and the placebo pills in the time you have your period), some are tri-phasic (they mimic your natural cycle better).
Some pills are available free from clinics, some pills are cheaper than others over the counter at Chemists.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: cat | 2004/01/06

ideally you should start taking the pill on the 1st day of your period, you take a pill each day for 21 days, the next 7 days are pill free days when you take none.
My pill is free to me.
I use a pill call dianette which helps with my bad skin. ask ur nurse what pill she recommends you go on.

Reply to cat