Question

Urticura

I suffer from Urticura (spell!) and have since 1998. In 2001 I was put on Fluoxetine due to panic attacks & also on Zyrtec for the itch. The itch has now got worse and I am finding that I need to take 2 X Zyrtec per day. I was once given the advice to find out what the cause of the itch is before trying to go off the fluoxetine but I honestly don't know where to start! Should I be consulting with a dermotologist or a dietician or ? Also, does the long term use of fluoxetine have an effect on your memory?

Expert ImageArchive

Urticaria is divided into two groups-acute urticaria which lasts for less than 6 weeks and chronic urticaria which lasts for longer than 6 weeks. The causes of chronic urticaria include medications, pressure, heat, cold, and, autoimmunity. Very rarely foodstuffs may cause urticaria. In at least 50% of cases no cause can be found. Chronic urticaria should be mannaged by a dermatologist.