Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/07/30

Urticarea

Hi Doc:-)

I posted a few weeks ago about my urticarea. I am on the Fexo 180 everyday to control the reaction i get, which seems to be a daily occurrence.

I decided to try and wean myself off the pills. So i discovered i can go maybe 24-28 hours without the pills. So i figured it must be something i'm eating.

So i took a pill at about 10pm on Friday night. I didnt take one Saturday night and ate a whole range of things during the day.

When i woke up Sunday morning, i felt my lips itching with that slight burning sensation. I know that is the reaction starting, so my lips start swelling.

I took the fexo and the swelling continued until the pills took effect about an hour and a half later.

swelling wasnt bad at all compared to the times where my lips didnt touch my gums anymmore....i looked like a horse....

I want to know....is this normal?

If i ate past the pills effectiveness and nothing happens...then i sleep for 8 hours and then only a reaction starts?

I thought an allergic reaction happens immediately....

Hi Sandy
No some allergic reactions can be delayed for hours or even days. You get two types of allergy : type 1 or IGE mediated and type II or IGG mediated allergies. Type I is immediate ( like with a bee sting). Type II can happen up to 72 hours later.
Have you kept a diary of what you eat and when you get the reaction?