Question

Urine has a strong smell

My urine has a very strong smell and its dark in colour. Its been like this since the begining of the year. WIll citri soda help me as Im not on a medical aid and cant afford R280 consoltation fee as well as medicine. Please help!

Dear Anon
Drinking lots of water and taking citrosoda may help - but ask the sister at the pharmacy to just do a urine test for you - will cost about R25 to ensure that you don't need antibiotics?

2
Posted by: Karen | 2007/07/11

How much water do you drink ? it is very common that if you dont drink much liquid that your urine is very strong, try drinking plenty of water for a day and see how it goes !

Reply to Karen
Posted by: anxious | 2007/07/11

You more than likely have a bladder infection, and if you do citrus soda wont help - you need antibiotic treatment. Untreated bladder infections can lead to rapid deterioration into a kidney infection, which can be serious and difficult to treat and you can even end up needing to have iv antibiotic treatment in hospital.

Go to a provincial hospital if you have to - you need antibiotic treatment asap before you get worse. Strong smelling urine is a sure sign of a bad infection.

I have chronic kidney problems and so know all the signs of bladder/kidney infection problems and have been hospitalised on some occassions for this condition.

Dont delay getting medical treatment.

Reply to anxious