Question
Posted by: Connie | 2008/01/29

Urine

I am 36 and recently found my urine has had an offensive smell. My diet is not great but I try and drink a lot of water. I am not taking any vitamin supplements at the moment and the only medication I am on is Fluoxetine. Could this have an effect on urine as I have only been taking this medicine for the last couple of months and the timing seems to coincide.

Dear Connie
I have never heard of anybody complaining of foul smelling urine while on fluoxetine. Have your urine tested at your doctor or pharmacy – if no infection, try drinking more water ( 8 glasses a day) and using citrosoda or cranberry juice daily.

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/22

I am also on fluoxetine and have foul urine smell. I have had a test and have not got an infection.

Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/29

It could be to do with your new medication, or you could also have a UTI (bladder infection). Smelly urine is a definite symptom of an infection, but this can only be confirmed by handing in a urine test for am MC&S done by the lab. This is far more accurate than one done in a gp's room's as the lab do culture tests on the sample and if they culture the results the result is positive for infection. They then do tests to see which type of antibiotics are resistant/sensitive to your type of infection if you do in fact have a positive result. Then you can get the right antibiotic treatment.

I know all of this because I have chronic kidney problems so know all about urine tests! I have lost count years ago how many I have had!

Just go to your gp and hand in a urine sample - its really quite easy and then you will know - if it shows up negative then you know it might be the medication, but I think you do need to rule out the possibility of a bladder infection.

.

Reply to anxious