Question
Posted by: Shehnaz | 2004/11/05

Uric Acid build up

I have been to the doctor about hard "lumps" which first developed on my spine, which has now cleared but I have it on my ankles and now on my little finger. The doctor says it looks like uric acid build up. I am to have a blood test in two weeks and in the meanwhile have been put on medication.

Please tell me what types of foods to steer clear from to avoid this sort of thing in the future. Pleez help!!!!

Dear Shehnaz
Until you have the results of the blood tests, you don't really know if these lumps are caused by uric acid or not. However, people who do have gout have an inability to metabolise components called 'purines' which occur in foods such as organ meats (liver, kidneys), meat (beef, mutton in particular), fish, anchovies, meat extracts and legumes. So the advice would be to cut out or decrease your intake of these foods. Foods that have an acid taste like lemon juice, citrus fruits and strawberries do not actually produce an acid reaction in the body once they are metabolised, in contrast the final product of the metabolism of such foods is alkaline. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of fruit (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral. I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with a diet that reduces purines and improves your gout. If you have gout it is advisable to also avoid all alcohol.