Question
Posted by: Stupid | 2004/11/15

Urgent info needed!

I have already posted this message, but received no reply.
PLEASE, I actually need this info by tommorow otherwise I would've waited longer for a reply.

About 4 months ago I had a very unplanned one night stand with a guy I barely know. I know,very stupid! I am going to get tested tomorrow, but, there's just a few things I need to know beforehand.
1. Do I just ask the doctor to test for ALL STI's and STD's? Or do I have to specify?
2. Is 4 months long enough to detect all viruses and infections?
3. What will it cost approx?
4. How long will the results take? My friend told me that it usually takes a week but sometimes you can get the results in three hours,but of course it will be more expensive. Is it possible to get the results so fast?

Please help! I would really want to go fully prepared.

You will have to specify what you want to be tested for, though a screen will usually test for syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea. You can ask for an HIV test if you wish. These should be detected within 4 months. Other infections, such as herpes and HPV may only present later. Most of these results can be obtained within a few days. The cost depends on exactly what you have done.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/16

Your best bet is to speak with the doctor and raise your concerns as you have mentioned them. Ask him/her if you need to be tested for all, or if some of them would already have shown symptoms by now so that they can be ruled out if you didn't get those symptoms yet.

Can't answer you on the rest though.

I'm sure gynaedoc will get back to you soon.

You can put all these questions to the doctor that you see to do the tests, as they have to give you pre test counselling anyway.

Reply to Purple