Question
Posted by: Sunshine | 2006/04/12

Urgent help please

hi there

i need help and advice urgently please.

am 6 wks pregnant.
have been on alzam for 12 years - freely available to me from GP's. initially prescribed for panic attacks - now because my body goes into withdrawal without them.
have also been on aropax for four months.
went to the gynae for advice on medication - he sent me to a psychiatrist.
the gynae says there is no guarantee whether any damage has been done yet.
nobody seems to have an alternative medication that is pregnancy safe that i can use.

would really be greatful if you could help me. i really dont want to lose or harm this baby.

thanks in advance.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Sunshine,

The safety of alprazolam (alzam) during pregnancy has not been established. The potential POTENTIAL for congenital malformations in children of patients who have received benzodiazepines during pregnancy does exist. It is advised that you discontinue treatment if possible at all - It should ONLY be used in comelling circumstances.
For SSRI's (Aropax) definite safety has also not been established and should best be avoided. The safest, and one that are being used in pregnancy is FLUOXETINE.

Your doctor will have to make the final call.