Question
Posted by: HELP!! | 2007/04/05

URGENT HELP NEEDED

I went for my sonar today. I am 17 weeks pregnant. Doctor said he is very worried, i have very low amniotic fluid. I searched the internet frantically fro answers. All I could come up with was to drink 2 litres of water in two hours time, daily. There hasnt been enough research on this to prove that it does work, but i will try it. It is easter weekend now and i cant see anyone else for a propper check up before Tuesday. On Tuesday I will go for a emergency sonar - detailed one. In the meantime I will drink my water and rest as much as I can. I know the baby needs the amniotic fluid to breath into his lungs for development and also to move his limbs, but I have so little that the baby are squashed at the moment. WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!! I AM IN TEARS!!!! I have only picked up 1kg so far!

There isn't much that you can do. It really depends on why the amniotic fluid is low. It could be that there is a problem with the development of the baby's kidneys, which means that amniotic fluid is not produced, or it could be that the placenta is n ot functioning, or your waters could have broken (though you should have been aware of this). The detailed scan will give more information as to the cause. What is done will really depend on this.