Question
Posted by: dillie | 2007/11/27

Urgent!!! Help

Dear Cyber doc, i was in a car accident 6yrs ago. i hurt my neck and had c6-c7 fused, lately i have been havin severe pain again. i went to go see a doctor who's report reads as follow:-

there are spinal fixation screws noted at C6/7 with fusion of the C6/7 vetebral body.
There is spondylosis of the cervical spine with uncovertebral osteophytes and attenuation of the C4/5 neural exit foramina on the left and C4 neural exit foramen on the right.
there is in addition osteoporosis of the bones of the cervical spine.

Doctor- I dont understand this at all, is my condition severe and do you suggest that i see a neurologist???

Do you think i will need surgery?? (again!)

please could you tell me what this message means....

thank you and may you have a blessed Festive season.

Dillie

Hallo Dillie
it means:
There are screws visible at number 6 and 7 vertebrae with vertebra number 6 and 7 grown together.
There is degeneration of the vertebral bones and of the joints between them in the neck part of the spine with bony outgrowths and narrowing of the holes between the 4th neck vertebra and 5th neck vertebrae where the nerve exits on the left and also on the Right at the level of the 4th vertebra. This can cause pressure on the nerves and symptoms down the arms. There is loss of bone density in the neck bones.
If you have muscle function loss or severe pain in your arms and neck you may need another operation.
I would suggest you see an orthopod rather than a neurologist at this point. Maybe try physiotherapy first for the pain before opting for operation?