Question
Posted by: S | 2003/12/17

Urgent - Excessive weight gain

I am 26 weeks pregnant, and gained 4 kg in a month. Gynae says that I should cut down on high calorie foods and not eat Yoghurt, bread, and drink milk.

He says that if I get diabetes while pregnant can be very dangerous to unborn baby.

Would like to know whether I should cut out Yoghurt and Milk completely or maybe eat lowfat or drink skim milk?

Does anybody have a suitable diet one can follow during pregnancy?

I think that you should cut down on bread, cake and chocolates, potatoes, etc. I don't see why you should cut out yoghurt and milk unless you are allergic.

1
Posted by: dee | 2003/12/17

Dear S

I do not think it is ever a good idea to cut out dairy products from your diet.
What you can do is drink, fat free milk and eat fat free yoghurt and fat free cottage cheese.
The low fat products still contain fat, but the fat free products have no fat.
Also, dont cut out bread, its not the bread that is fattening, its what you put on the bread, eg peanut butter, cheese, mayo.
Rather eat brown bread and put fat free cottage cheese on.
Drink plenty water and eat fruit when you get hungry inbetween meals.
Have a good healthy cereal in the morning with fatfree milk, then fruit in mid morning, then if you have salad for lunch, watch the dressing, do not put too much oil in, or as I suggested a sandwhich. Also do not cook with oil, rather bake foods in the oven. Eat plenty of veges at night, with no butter or oil, and grill or bake your protein.
Also try get some exercise, like walking for 30 mins 3 times per week.
Hope this is of some help to you.
Good luck.

Reply to dee